Hey!

Welcome to my blog. It's for the "Six Items or Less" challenge. So basically, I choose six articles of clothing and besides underwear and jackets and shizz, I can only wear these six items for two weeks. The original challenge is for a month but this two week trial is for my sociology class. As required for this project, I have created a blog here (taa daa!) and will update at minimum, once a day and have three pictures per week. So that's what this is. Have fun, read my blog if you care about clothing or society and experiments on going against the norm. Or don't. I don't care.

S. Dorsey, 6th period

Monday, October 15, 2012

Day 01-Invasion of the Pod Person


DAY ONE
Monday


Hey- welcome back to my blog!


Who are you and what have you done with my friend?
No, guys, don't worry. I haven't been switched with a pod person. I just decided that if I wanted to get reactions from people for this assignment, I would go all out. After this is over, I don't know how I'll dress. All I know it will be hard for me not to become more self aware during the next two weeks when I constantly have to think about how I look and how others will perceive me.

On that note- I'm usually very hyper and goofy. I don't know how easy it will be for me to act like my normal laughing-at-everything, talking animatedly and gesticulating self when I'm wearing prissy, for lack of a better word, clothing. I have a black pair of jeans in my six items that are more casual but my skirt is obviously not casual and my white jeans, when paired with the tops I'm using, aren't overly casual either.

It's a social experiment inside a social experiment inside a social experiment inside a social experiment! 
Firstly- It's the 621 (six items, two weeks, one challenge), which is a social experiment and an opportunity for self awareness. Then it's me wearing things I don't usually, trying to see how hard it is to have to pretend to be someone you're not, even if just for two weeks. And then it's also how everyone else perceives me while I'm dressed differently. And THEN, last but not least, it's how hard it is to act differently than people expect you to.

It was a school day, obviously, so I interacted with people who know how I generally dress. I think I've probably skewed the whole experiment, though, since I completely changed my clothing style for the two week period. But I've committed myself to my six items, so I'll have to deal with that. Besides, at least I'll have something to talk about and I wouldn't otherwise.





What I expected
Basically? I thought everything would be very, very odd. I would wear my new clothing and my friends would either laugh their arses off or tell me how different I looked- as if I couldn't figure that one out for myself. My teachers wouldn't say anything about it, unless to compliment the outfit, which I guess it possible. But I'd feel self conscious and like a fish out of water.

What happened
So, my friends were confused. Some were more polite about their inquires than others but no one laughed or said anything critical about my choice. For the most part, they gave me a raised eyebrow, shrugged, and then said "Just another one of her weird things" and went on with their lives- which I much appreciate. I could pass it off to some people simply with "It's for a Sociology project" since Sociology and Psychology seem to be just classes full of crazy people, as far as the underclassmen masses are concerned. People that I haven't talked to since grade school made sure to compliment my outfit, while people I wish I haven't talked to since grade school sneered down their noses at me. And why? Because I did something that was different. It wouldn't have been out of place on someone else but it was on me and they didn't like that. Isn't change good?
Without change, there would be no butterflies.











Okay, and now for the rundown


Clothing: I wore my dark blue pencil skirt over charcoal gray tights and my black wedges and finished the ensemble with my black boat neck top.

Jewelry: Because my top is long sleeved, I was able to wear my aluminum bracelet, which didn't quite match the fancy clothes, without people seeing it. I also wore my standard faerie ring on my right hand but I didn't wear my normal necklace. Instead, I showed off the thick, coiled necklace my brother gave me a couple of years ago.

Makeup: I applied a light layer of mascara-which is more than I usually do-and dark lipstick, Too Faced: "Celebrity Meltdown".

Hair: I pulled my bangs back and twisted them into a mini-ponytail just to get them out of my way, except for one of my blonde streaks, which I twisted around my finger when it was damp so that it had a little bit of wave to it.

Other: My nails were uneven and I didn't want to spend the time filing them so I cut them all to the same length and left them unpainted- I might paint them purple when I wear the purple sweater but probably not- it's too much of a pain to paint my right hand.
Purple Nail Polish- noisy post



It's like I was in bizarro world this whole time. Up was down and down was up and I was in pretty clothes: girl clothes, a skirt! Like maybe I should have started this out with "goodbye" instead of "hello".



Hello,
S. Dorsey, 6th period

No comments:

Post a Comment